Monday, January 14, 2013

Hands.

I’ve always been fascinated by hands. Simple, yet so exquisite at the same time. Gestures of the hand can be one of the most beautiful things to witness and explore. Look at ballroom dancers. Their varying hand movements - that start in the wrist and continue to the tips of their fingers - are often so crucial to the actual dance performance and scoreboard of the judges. The hand of a dancer is an art form, that tends to go unnoticed by some, yet I’m enamored by it. One of the most elegant and graceful forms of art I’ve ever witnessed - the way a hand twists and bends is like a flower fluttering in the wind.
dance / Tumblr (dance,dancer,ballet,ballerina,black and white,female,flow,airy,pointe,grace)
The wrinkles planted on hand tell a story. The soft folds offer comfort and warmth to another hand when being held. There are endless descriptions and metaphors for this part of the human body, so I will not stretch it out any further , but I will state that primarily when I think of wrinkles and soft folds, I think of Da Vinci. I think of his art and the many hands he illustrated and drawings he left for us to explore and analyze.
Study of hands - Leonardo da Vinci
I think of his hard and soft lines, the tone of his drawings, and how he captured the graceful beauty of a human hand.

The series I am starting to work on is mainly focused on the female hands mixed in with the floral elements of my imagination. I will post updates and photos soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment